Good news today re the arm nodule - not cancerous! I had the fine needle aspiration this morning. They stuck a needle into the lump guided by an ultrasound and pulled out some tissue. The pathologist on site whipped it off to his microscope in the back room and within a few minutes came back with a benign diagnosis. He said it is probably
fat necrosis sustained from some kind of injury to the area, perhaps from the physical therapist working on it. I had no idea what fat necrosis was, but apparently it's the destruction of fat cells within the body. The fat cells are broken down in response to some kind of trauma and a mass of rubbery tissue can form. It will likely go away on its own or stay as is. As long as it doesn't grow or start doing tricks, I am not to worry. Phew.
In other medical news, we spent last Wednesday night in the ER. Nope, not me this time. John - kidney stone. It seems remarkably similar to labour without the cute little baby at the end. It has yet to pass. We're working on names as we speak.
 |
| Grin and bear it? |
Yeah for good news (fatty tissue). Boo to bad news (pending "birth"). I hope it passes soon (pun intended). Thinking of you...both.
ReplyDeleteWhat a relief! For once fat nodules sound like a very good thing. I’m glad to hear your news, and hope the unrelated kidney stone passes soon.
ReplyDeleteglad to hear about the results. how kind of the radiologist to examine it immediately. sorry about the kidney stone. have spent several trips with my husband at inova fairfax for the same reason! hugs!
ReplyDeleteDon't laugh - but horses get similar bumps from trauma to their legs! I will probably never be quoted as saying this ever again in my life but "hooray for FAT"!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteGood news! (the tissue sample part of course). Best wishes to John.
ReplyDeletePhew for you and boo for John! Hope he is better.
ReplyDeleteWhat a relief I am sure re: benign diagnosis.
Thinking of you my friend.
Kellster
good news and hope John's stone has passed... xo C
ReplyDelete