Friday, June 1, 2012

Race for the Cure VIP Kickoff

For the first time in several years, the vice presidential mansion did not play host to the Komen Race for the Cure VIP kickoff reception because the Biden's had a pretty solid conflict - their daughter's wedding. This worked out quite nicely for me because the Embassy offered to host the reception, so I got to meet a bunch of Komen staff, survivors, top fundraisers and sponsors, as well as other notables like actress Gabrielle Union and singer Colby Dee. I admit, I recognized Gabrielle Union, but have never seen any of her movies! I can tell you that she is stunning and does not look 39! I really enjoyed speaking to the survivors who referred to me as a "newbie" and always included in their introduction the number of years they've been a survivor. I was impressed that all the ladies I spoke with had been cancer free for 10+ years and they were still involved in the cancer community. Apparently Komen has a survivor committee that helps with fundraising and events to raise awareness about breast cancer.
Moi et Gabrielle Union


Ambassador Brinker















I thought the catering staff did a great job decorating, right down to the little pink ribbons on the wine glasses. Georgetown cupcake added to the decor by donating boxed cupcakes for the guests to take home. FYI - I am feeling much better this week and was able to enjoy the BBQ fare in all its deliciousness. My feet are all swollen again, but I managed to wear my lovely new purple wedges for the two hours the reception lasted. I just didn't think flip flops would cut it. Here is a blurb from one of the DC bloggers in attendance (I really wish non-Canadians would stop using "eh")! Ambassador Brinker spoke highly of the venue and the hospitality, so who knows, maybe they'll be back again next year? Either that or I'll need to score an invite to the Veep's.

Georgetown cupcakes




No comments:

Post a Comment