News Flash: I need to shave my legs! This is the one and only time I will be excited by this, but true to my oncologist's word my hair seems to be coming back 2 months post-chemo. And check out my fuzzy duckling head! I'm not out in public like this yet, but hopefully soon? I have no idea what I'm going to do with it as it grows out. It's definitely looking darker.
I've started jogging again which is huge to my mental health. I'm only doing three miles at a very relaxed pace, but it feels great to be out there again. I'm eager to get my upcoming reconstruction over with but at the same time annoyed that I'm going to slide backwards again during recovery. I was listening to a woman complaining about working out in the gym today and wanted to give her a smack. I'd love to be training for something awesome right now. Maybe by next spring I'll be in ten-miler shape. Destination half-marathon anyone?
According to my calculations I have 11 more Herceptin infusions. I like keeping track of this stuff because it makes me feel like I'm advancing to another stage. It's like a cancer video game. In other news, I also started my five year stint on Tamoxifen. I didn't realize this was coming yet. I thought I was to start next spring after the Herceptin was over, but it's actually post-chemo. I don't think I'll be counting this one down so methodically - 2017 is really far away! The biggest side effects are hot flashes. The funny thing is it's hard to tell whether the hot flashes are a product of the Tamoxifen or if chemo has induced early-menopause. At this point I suppose it really doesn't matter. Sorry boys, you will not be getting a new baby to play with!
Friday I am signed up for "Survivorship" class at my oncologist's office. The nurse will attempt to answer the million dollar question, "What now?" I've kind of been avoiding this topic because I know it will be depressing. I complain about life being so busy, but in some ways it's a blessing. I think I would go crazy if I actually had time to be alone with my thoughts.
What a beautiful head of peach hair :) There's little better than seeing it come back, except when it covers fully. Woohoo for shaving your legs!
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful Michelle!!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteHey Michelle! Looking good girl! I will meet you anywhere (just not in the midwest) for a half marathon. We can show the world what a survivor looks like. You continue to inspire me. If you figured out the "what now?" answer...let me in on it:)
ReplyDeleteHair is a great pre-birthday gift! Maybe you will get darker locks like the rest of us now.
ReplyDeleteDestination half marathon? ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!
ReplyDeleteLet's do it up sister!