Friday, April 27, 2012

Half Way

I feel like I should be more excited about the prospect of being half way through chemo, but 9 more weeks to go still sounds like a really long time! And let's not forget I will still continue getting the Herceptin infusions every three weeks, but at least they only take 30 minutes (as opposed to 4-5 hours), and my oncologist assures me that there are little to no side effects to the Herceptin alone. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I had my labs and oncologist visit this morning and despite being a little anemic my counts are looking good for round four. I was happy to see my doctor today because I had lots of questions. I have a weird lump in my right arm (mastectomy side) and two hard lumps on my sternum that are new. She isn't concerned about the arm one, but wants to "monitor" the ones on my chest, mostly because of their location. I wonder if I'm forever going to contribute every little malady to cancer. Going for my check-in is like a therapy session - I pour out all my concerns and she reassures me that I have a highly treatable form of cancer and all is going as planned. She kept making me repeat, "I have a greater than 90% chance of being cured, " throughout my visit. It was like a Matt Damon/Robin Williams Good Will Hunting moment: "It's not your fault. It's not your fault"...

In other news, you may have noticed from my photos that I still have eyelashes and eyebrows. They are definitely thinner, but I have them nonetheless. I asked about that today and she said they'll probably stick around if they haven't fallen out by now, but no promises. She also told me to expect my hair to start growing back 2 months post-chemo, which was longer than I anticipated. I guess I was thinking it would start growing back the day after chemo was done. Looks like I will be stuck with this wig for quite some time. Sigh.

I also learned today that there is no real test for determining whether the chemo actually worked, other than finding cancer (or not) somewhere else. I'll continue to get mammograms and MRI's, but I thought there would be some sort of blood test or something at the end that would determine - ALL CLEAR! - and reassure me that all was well on the vascular front. Makes me feel like a bit of a sitting duck. I want a battle plan; a concrete change I can make to rid myself of the big C. I asked her what I could/should be doing to beat this and she said, "You're doing it. Stay in shape - you're fit. Maintain a healthy body weight - you're thin. And limit your soy." Done, done and done.  I guess I have to hope that these drugs do their thing!

My chemo angel Stacey sent me a card recently, which made me chuckle because like me, she thinks that telling someone in crisis that everything happens for a reason is SO not helpful.


Inside she wrote, "Sometimes things just happen...even to amazing women like us." Couldn't have said it better myself.  (o:

12 comments:

  1. ...Just keep going...
    You are doing great, mich! I love the card. It is amazing how many people throw that, "it all happens for a reason..." line out there. Hard pressed to think of a good reason for wonderful, healthy people getting cancer! So, three cheers for Stacey! Hang in there, mich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like that...I think we've had this conversation before! Thanks for keeping me positive, TJ!

      Delete
  2. HALF WAY MICHELLE!! i hope this doesn't sound like the card :) but 9 weeks will go by fast... and there are some fun events and a long weekend in there. :) glad that you got some reassurances today, sorry that there was some news that was not as much to your liking. you are doing great though ! xoxo C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right, we have no shortage of activities in the next nine weeks! Plus, everything's better when it's warm out!

      Delete
  3. You don't know me but I found your blog and live nearby in Fairfax. I am a papercrafter and would love to send you a card. That's what papercrafters do when someone needs to know that others care.

    If you are comfortable sending me your address, please email me. If not, I totally understand. You can check out my blog to see I'm not a stalker! here's my email jabardee@gmail.com In any event, wishing you a quick 9 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Michelle,

    Hang in there girl. You are doing great !! Oh how we know what you mean about those words "Everything happens for a reason" I had to bite my tongue many times when folks would tell me that during Scott's treatment. I'll have to find what someone sent me titled "What not to say to people who have cancer" It is so on the money. We think of you guys a lot and hope John and the little guys are well. Try not to stress out about every little bump. You are well on your way to being CURED !! Hope to stop by soon and we will pray that the next round will be easy on you.

    With faith and hope,
    Diane and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Diane - and thank you for dinner tonight! You would have laughed to see G gobbling up those potatoes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on making it ½ way through chemo – that’s a BIG deal. And you’re doctor sounds fantastic, making you repeat that positive mantra. Even after treatment many women at our forum discuss having fears, but it certainly helps the recovery to have a caring oncologist on your side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You're right, I am very lucky to have a supportive oncologist and a great medical team as a whole. I don't think I'll ever put all my fears to rest, but it's nice that they all take my concerns seriously!

      Delete
  7. Greater than 90% chance...I like those odds. :)

    Your attitude and strength are inspiring. It can't be easy, but hang in there - you're doing great!

    Andrea xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the best "inspirational" card I've ever seen. I'd like to send one to Oprah.
    Congratulations on the half-way point, even if it felt a bit lack-luster. Hope you ate a million cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete