What an amazing day! The weather was absolutely perfect - sunny, warm and comfortable. We got the kids up at the crack of dawn and headed into DC to meet up with Team Canada in the International tent. I'm very happy to report that we were the top fundraising team in the International division with
$12,031 raised! I got to carry the flag for Canada in the opening ceremonies which was fun. It was great to see the "parade of pink" and all the wild outfits. If my boa weren't so itchy, I might have worn it into work today.
 |
| My Olympic moment |
 |
| Susan, Mindy, Isabelle, Me, G, John, Christine, Bree & Julie |
 |
| Team Canada |
Team Canada had 101 members which included Embassy staff, family and friends, and
C2C members. I was thrilled that my little gang included John and the boys, my good friends and neighbours Nicole and Chris, Mark and his daughter Campbell, as well as my long time gal pals Christine, Bree, and Isabelle, and my new friends Susan and Teresa. The biggest treat of the day, however, was being surprised just before the race by Julie and Mindy who came from London, England and Fort Collins, Colorado respectively, to do the race with me! Sneaky Christine masterminded the whole thing, and I didn't have a clue. Needless to say I was a little verklempt over everyone's awesomeness.
 |
| Me and the boys |
 |
| En route |
 |
| Me & Christine |
 |
| My team! |
 |
| Awesome surprise visitors: Mindy and Jules |
After lunch, naps, and a 3 year old birthday party, we headed over to a b-day BBQ at Christine and Brian's where I got to hang out more with the ladies. Funny how we haven't all been in one place in ages, but it felt like no time had passed at all. The same is true of my Winnipeg friends. It's just like old times.
 |
| We rock. |
I have tons of pictures I could post, but
here are a few taken by my colleague. Enjoy!
Glad you are feeling better and that you were able to enjoy the day. Just remember ... you too will be one of those 10 plus year survivors !! You look great and tell John we are glad he is on the mend.
ReplyDeleteDiane and Scott
$11,856 is huge! Congratualtions on the entire event. It must have felt fantastic to carry that flag, see the crowd, and realize you are helping to make a difference.
ReplyDeleteCatherine
Wow, what an amazing event and day! You are looking good too. And what a reminder of how loved you are! Such nice pals to travel to be with you.
ReplyDeleteI was reading about the VIP kickoff too...what a star studded ensemble! What a great event!
Checking in from Gainesville, Fla., and I am awe of your grace under fire! Keep up the tough work — I know you will :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures! Glad to see you had fun at the event. We celebrate the gift of life and our mission is to try to help others enjoy it as much as possible. Learn more about what we do here: http://bit.ly/LkrEzP
ReplyDeleteYou are looking so good Michelle, glad it was a lovely day for you
ReplyDeleteHope all is ticking along as it should and thanks for sharing your lovely family pics
Leilani and Joe , Australia, x