Thursday, January 3, 2013

Good riddance, 2012!

I am seriously so excited that 2012 is finally over. It's almost unbelievable to look back and see all that has happened over the last year. I practically cried putting up the new calendar. Today is my cancerversary - I've survived one year. Some people commemorate the day they found the lump, some choose the day they were officially diagnosed, and others the day they had surgery or finished treatment. One year ago I was sitting in my office listening to the radiologist tell me I have cancer. I'll never forget that phone call. Nothing has been the same since.

I can tell you one thing - cancer is expensive. My total medical charges for 2012 were $341,605.37 and that doesn't include prescriptions. (Our insurance didn't actually pay out that amount, but that was the total billed). I calculate my out-of-pocket expenses to be about $1700 which includes co-pays, prescriptions and my wig. Not terrible, all things considered, but I could have done something way more fun with $1700.

I can also tell you that recovery is way slower than I would like. I have three more Herceptin treatments left in 2013, a part II reconstructive surgery, and a port that will need to come out before I can consider treatment officially over. (Note, I am not including the five years on Tamoxifen in this little countdown or I'll really get depressed). I'm telling myself that my hair is very Anne Hathaway/Les Mis, but obviously it can't grow fast enough, and I'm seriously starting to wonder whether I will ever have full eyebrows and eyelashes ever again.

Despite all this, I feel like the worst is over (hopefully for good) and that this year will see us in a happier place. Onwards and upwards!


10 comments:

  1. Onward and upward! One year out is a good, good thing. Congratulations! The lashes and brows will be coming back any day now. They might even be there, but just very light in colour? I missed my for ages until my husband noticed they were growing back in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Catherine! My eyebrows are coming in a very light red (?) so they still look very thin. Did yours come back in the same? And what's up with my hair? Am I stuck with this for good, or is this just the first round?

      Delete
  2. You are awesome Michelle...Happy New YOU and 2013! S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2013 Michelle! What a beautiful pic of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you too! You are such a fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great Michelle! (that is your colour for sure!).
    Here's to a great 2013! As you say, onward and upward.
    xoxo

    PS: Yikes at the medical costs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are totally rockin' the Anne Hathaway look! Also, I agree with Kell - that is definitely your colour. Stay positive and focus on the year ahead. You're one hell of a fighter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yah for you !!! how great is one year !!!!and I bet it feels even better , love the new do too, enjoy and have a great year, keep the faith

    Leilani and Joe , Australia,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your blog and experiences. I am also in the northern virginia area, 33, and was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I hope to kick cancer's butt as successfully and gracefully as you. you're almost done! :). Cheers, Q.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You absolutely will kick cancer's butt, Q! Let me know if I can help in any way. Hang in there - you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete