Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Back to work

Well, as I mentioned, the original plan was to start chemo this week, but the holiday made it hard to find a free slot, so I decided to go back into work for a few days instead.  I don't know if I've shared this already, but my employer doesn't have any short-term disability.  You can use your banked sick and vacation days, but unfortunately I used up pretty much all my accumulated sick days during my two maternity leaves because I figured - when will I ever need these?  Use them or lose them!  Well, this is hardly something I anticipated, so I gambled and lost mine.  Not that I feel the least bit sorry for spending more time with my kids as infants, but maybe I might have saved a few more sick days had I the gift of foresight.  I have about 9 days of vacation left, which I'm going to run through pretty quickly, particularly if chemo goes poorly, but keep your fingers crossed. From now on my employer is allowing me to work as much as I'm able, and I just record my hours on time sheets instead of getting my regular salary.  This is great for having the luxury and job security of taking time when I need it, but not so great in the sense that I don't get paid on the days I don't work!  In my mind right now, the plan I'm hoping to go with is to take the week of chemo off, go back to work for two weeks, repeat.  If I feel better than I anticipate during the chemo week, maybe I can work from home a few days, but it's just going to be a play it by ear kind of situation.  Luckily my work colleagues are awesome and very supportive. 

Anyway, I actually enjoyed being at work this week.  3 days was perfect.  The only problem was the fatigue.  This was the first week I didn't have an hour nap over the lunch hour!  I usually take a valium in the morning to manage my stiffness, but they do make me very drowsy.  Tuesday I was completely beat by the time I got home.  Wednesday I skipped the valium and just took Ibuprofen, but it didn't seem to make much difference.  I fell asleep on the couch at 7:30pm and apparently it took John four different times to wake me up and encourage me into bed.  I actually brought a blanket and little pillow into work thinking I might take a nap under my desk during lunch time, but I never did.  Any Seinfeld watchers out there?  Remember that episode where George sets up his office under his desk, takes calls from under there, and basically lounges around and sleeps?  Maybe I need to think about this a little more...

4 comments:

  1. Don't forget to set your alarm clock correctly. And, watch your head...I think George hit his a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips, good tips. I just need to find a handy person on staff to build my little shelf and I'm good to go! A space heater would be great too, electric blanket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Electric blanket? You are not in Canada anymore! Maybe a fan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My office is always freezing. It's like being back in the Peg!

      Delete