Friday, March 23, 2012

Positives

It's currently 27C, the sun is shining, and spring has sprung.  Things could definitely be worse in Chemoland.  I don't want to jinx anything, but round two has been unexpectedly better than round one. I was all set with my 100 count of Percocet, and so far no stomach pains or cramping at all. I've got the predictable fatigue, bad taste in my mouth (imagine a clove of garlic stuck to the roof of your mouth that keeps messing with your taste buds), and cravings for carbs, but otherwise feeling good. All this gorgeous weather has had me lamenting my inability to go for a run of late (plastic surgeon's orders), but I started thinking this morning that I'm lucky that I have enough energy to get out and walk and enjoy the day.  I'm sure not everyone has that luxury. The cherry blossoms hit their peak bloom today, and because a trip into DC might have been a wee bit ambitious, I decided to enjoy the sights at our local Meadowlark Gardens over lunch. If you have some chemo convalescing to do, and even if you don't, nothing is better than a little outdoor therapy. 

Mom with Baby

When I got home from my walk, I found another card from my chemo angel, Stacey, in the mail. I think I have posted about this earlier, but if you have to undergo chemotherapy as part of your treatment, I highly recommend that you sign yourself up. Stacey is a 40 year old mom and wife who lives in Bellingham, WA, about 1/2 an hour from the Canadian border (coincidence?) who loves the outdoors, running, reading and hiking. She is my card angel and sends me positive thoughts and inspiration through my chemo. There is some kind of power in hearing from a real person and breast cancer survivor that life does in fact go on.  Other people have been through this and beaten it - and I will too - I just need to keep moving forward. 

And while I'm on the subject of free chemo stuff, if like myself, you happen to be under the age of forty, you should check out the resources at Tigerlily Foundation. I received a "Buddy Bag" this week for some extra pampering during chemo which included a tote bag, throw, lotions, and healing stones, as well as cute "silly sacks" for the kids each with a story book and colouring pages. They also have a program with Let's Dish which provides meals to families during this time.  Trust me, I'm not going through chemo for the swag, I just think it's nice that there are resources out there that people can take advantage of while life is a little crazy. And you know that the majority of people manning these operations are survivors and volunteers which just completes the circle.

Our Tigerlily loot

11 comments:

  1. I knew as soon as I read the title of this post that this was going to be a good one. You sound great, and I'm so, so happy that you can get out and enjoy all the beauty around you - how therapeutic. Stay positive! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cherry blossoms look gorgeous - glad you enjoyed such a nice stroll! Nice to her Round 2 was a little bit smoother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I am so happy you are having a reasonably good experience with this week's chemo! The blossoms look beautiful. It is my most vivid memory from our march visit way back when....well, aside from my ripped pants...but that is another story!
    I love your positive outlook! Although there are days when it is perfectly reasonable to pull the covers over your head and stay in bed...it is so wonderful that you have the Energy, initiative and physical ability to get out and see beautiful things. Yeah for you!
    I hope today is another glorious day, or at least that you find another silver lining to focus on. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better this time around and getting some fresh air. I am thankful you can do that, too - being outside is therapeutic for most things one might be going through. Your photos are nice, too. Love ya, friend, and thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Michelle ... great to hear that round 2 is being kind to you. Positive attitude has a lot to do with and you certainly have that going on. Chemo Angels are awesome. Scott had (has) an Angel named Leslie from Chicago. He loved getting her cards and stuff in the mail. We still communicate and we always will. Thinking of you, John and your sweet little guys. I bet G has really picked up the speed with his new walking skills.

    You just keep doing what you're doing .... kicking cancer's cowardly ass !! (ooops ! sorry, couldn't resist)

    With faith and hope,
    Diane and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for a better round two! And being 1/3 done!
    Glad to hear you're able to get out and enjoy the day. It was gorgeous here for weeks and when Spring Break started on Friday it turned cold.
    Pack away the carbs; your body is telling you something. A little comfort food and extra nourishment may be just what you need to get through the next round. I'm sure fresh bread has medicinal properties.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished reading all your posts. You are doing amazing and have such a positive attitude!!! My family has been hit hard by Breast Cancer. My maternal Grandmother died from breast cancer and 3 of my Aunts and 2 cousins(under 40) have had breast cancer. My mother had it 26 years ago, she had a lumpectomy and completed chemo and radiation and it came back 3 years ago, she had a single mastectomy and it was Stage 0, so she had no post op treatment. In September, my sister was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer, she had a double mastectomy and finished 8 rounds of chemo in January and had her implant inserted in March. My mother was diagnosed again in November with breast cancer and had a mastectomy on Dec 27th. She had two stints put in her heart in January and this pushed back chemo, we shaved her head last night...she is doing well and hasn't missed a day of work since starting her chemo. As if this wasn't enough I was diagnosed with Stage 0 on January 27th and had a double mastectomy on March 2nd. I am doing well and will only have to take the Tamoxifin for five years. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and know you will do so well with your awesome attitude!!!
    RueAnn Gallagher
    gallagher@bis.midco.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you really have been hit hard in your family! In some respects in must be comforting to have each other to lean on, and it sounds like you are all doing really well! Your mom sounds pretty impressive. Thanks so much for your email and good luck to you and yours,
      Michelle

      Delete
  9. Best of luck. Sorry this happened to you, but glad you seem to be in good hands. I stumbled on your blog and since I am also in Fairfax, read the whole thing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete