I love my therapist. I mean oncologist. I had my 3 month check up with her today and I actually came out of there feeling pretty good. She asked how I found the survivorship class, and I mentioned that it was a little discouraging because I feel like I was more or less doing all the right things before I got cancer. I asked her if there were any life changes I should make, or things to avoid, or things I could do, and she basically said that the biggest factor in my treatment is getting the Herceptin. She also said she thinks it's time to start thinking about transitioning from patient to survivor. As I told the good doctor, I am trying, but it's easier said than done. I was reading some literature from the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and it mentioned that "in some ways, moving from the period of active treatment into survivorship is one of the most complex aspects of the cancer experience." So true. I honestly don't think I will be able to think of myself as a survivor until my treatment is done at the end of February.
We also went over my bloodwork. My WBC count moved up to 3.16 (from 2.76 six weeks ago) which is still not in the normal range (minimum of 4) so I can't schedule my surgery. She said in some people it can take a longer time for the bone marrow to bounce back, but she isn't worried. At this rate, I can't imagine that I'll be back in the OR until the new year. Her feeling was that the plastic surgeon was being overly cautious, but I guess I'm more inclined to be safe than sorry. The last thing I need is to get an infection on top of everything. I'm still very slightly anemic, but it hasn't been affecting me that I've noticed. I actually feel like my energy level is pretty close to normal. I've done a couple of five mile runs in the last few weeks and felt fine. Speaking of being overly cautious, she also said that she was fine with me drinking in moderation which is different from the one drink a month max that the oncology nurse had prescribed.
Finally I asked the million dollar question --what is the chance of re-occurrence in my particular case? Drum roll please... Less than 10%. Obviously I'd sleep a little better if that number was 1%, but it could be worse. I have my dark days like everyone, but honestly I don't have time to dwell on it. Sorry cancer, I'm too busy living to deal with you right now.
live on Michelle! That is the ultimate betrayal to the beast we call cancer. xoxo S
ReplyDelete10% is nothing ... just ask my college students. :) Keep on enjoying life, Mich.
ReplyDeleteIn my head, I can totally hear you saying that last line. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Michelle,
ReplyDeleteI have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?
Thanks,
Cameron
Cameron, can you send your email?
ReplyDeletesolutin cancer www.buahmerah-redfruit.com
ReplyDelete