Monday, February 27, 2012

Chemo - Round One

And we're off!  So, as someone wisely wrote me, the scariest part of the chemo is the fear leading up to it and not knowing what to expect.  So true.  I took my pre-chemo day steroids and drank at least the prerequisite 64 oz of water on Sunday, but I was still up pretty much all night worrying about it, and in the end it wasn't as upsetting or depressing as I had imagined.  You are basically set up in pods of four with one nurse responsible for each pod.  Luckily I was the first person in, so I got to ask my nurse a million questions before anyone else got there.  My particular drugs are all fortunately clear in colour, so I was happy not to have to see some red or blue nastiness coming down the iv into me.  The nurse said that one blue drug can actually turn the irises of your eyes slightly blue temporarily after treatment - yuk.  And, despite the fact that the port still kind of grosses me out, it made the whole IV thing pretty painless.  (I'm sure the pound of numbing cream I smeared on it the hour prior had a little something to do with it).  Jen - here is a pic of the port/iv system for you!  It just plugs right in there. 


To be honest, it's actually quite relaxing.  It did take 5 1/2 hours for the infusion, but they have wi-fi access, a TV you can watch with headphones, kitchen, guest chairs...  The first treatment or "loader dose" is the longest, so my next round should be more like 4 1/2 hours.  John came and hung out with me for this first time and was even able to get some work done.  As people started filtering in, most just worked on computers, read books, listened to music, or slept.  I was so tired from the night before, I slept for about an hour myself.  At one point a volunteer even came in with this psychedelic guitar and was serenading each pod.  He just travels around the country singing at chemo centers.  He said he spent a year "in the chair" himself and just wanted to share the love.  He handed out free cd's to everyone and said to download and share with whoever we like.  I don't know how he makes any money doing any of this, and apparently he is married with three children under ten, but it's pretty impressive.  I got a special song for being a first timer.  One old man even got up and was dancing with one of the nurses with his IV pole. 


Thanks so much to everyone who sent me encouraging messages throughout the day, including Jacki's "chemo angels".  My new e-pal Jacki asked her friends to send me some words of wisdom, so I received little notes of inspiration and helpful hints from her network of friends across the U.S. as well.  I am feeling very humbled by everyone's kindness I must say.  I had so many messages I'm still catching up on emails, because of course, as soon as we got home, collected the kids, and ate dinner I was off to a class at Life with Cancer called Look Good, Feel Better.  It just so happened that their course offering for this month was my first day of chemo, but I figured I'd better get in there because the next one wasn't for another month and I'd already be hairless and hideous well before that.

It was actually a really helpful class.  In addition to a free bag of make-up, a trained make-up artist gave us tips on how to highlight your eye lids when you lose your lashes and pencil on eye brows, and basically best accentuate your features when you look/feel less than stellar.  She kept mentioning that she worked for Bobbi Brown (I later discovered this was not the the Bobby Brown I was envisioning in parachute pants singing My Prerogative) so I was a little confused by her choice of endorsement for a while.  Anyway, I don't wear much make-up, and sunscreen and chapstick apparently don't count, (trust me, my sister has been trying to turn me into a girl for years) so I definitely found it useful. 

And that was my first day of chemo.  Other than the fatigue from lack of sleep the night before, I really didn't really feel any different than when I arrived.  I keep hearing that you start feeling more of the side effects around day 3, so again more anxiety about what's to come.  Tomorrow may still be a bit of a rough day though I would expect.  I have to go in for what's called a Neulasta shot in the morning to boost my white blood cells and help out my immune system while the chemicals in my body are killing everything.  Because it basically works its way through your bone marrow, it can cause bone aches in some people.  I also have another injection with my plastic surgeon in the afternoon, followed by a physical therapy session.  There's really not much time for convalescing in this whole process is there?!

13 comments:

  1. You were front and centre in my thoughts yesterday and today. Glad to hear things went okay; I hope today isn't too bad also. Love the guitar guy - I'm sure he was a welcomed distraction for you and others. :)

    (LOL'd at the Bobby Brown mix-up!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear it went, decently! If that is such a word. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It warms my heart to hear about the kindness of others. And you so deserve it! Hugs to you! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellster! Yeah, I think the infusions are the easy part, it's waiting to see what comes after that kills you! But what can you do? Wait and write about it I guess! (O:

      Delete
  3. Do you think the guitar guy ever sang Happy Birthday to a green puppet? Mind you, his guitar is much snazzier than the one you had then!

    Lots of good wishes for the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you suggesting I should paint up my old Fender and take it on the road when this is all done? Thanks for the good wishes - keep them coming!

      Delete
    2. Only if you bring along Dimoitou! Ah ha ha ha! I do so wish I was able to add a photo to this post! ;)

      Delete
    3. The road trip would really depend on how much you have practised since then; however, if plied with wine, I am sure TJ and I could be convinced to come sing back up!

      Stay strong, my friend.

      Delete
    4. Yes to wine and back up vocals! Can I wear sequins?

      Delete
  4. Hi Michelle! Yvon has been trying to leave comments as he reads but did not want to set up a blogger account. Good news is that we have one he forgot about! We have been thinking of you and reading with such admiration. We are sending you good wishes and tons of healing vibes through this first round.
    Amand and Yvon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good news! I am new to all this so I may have set it up wrong myself, not sure? I also assumed it would send updates to people when I posted a new message but that doesn't seem to happen either, so hopefully people will just check in now and then until I figure it all out! Thanks so much for your kind words of inspiration - it means a lot to me!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see you all hairless and not hideous, but rather fabulous and made up like the beauty queen we all know you secretly harbour inside...

    Round one. Done. Good on ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, tbd! Well, at least infusion one anyway!

    ReplyDelete