So, as I mentioned, the day after each infusion I have to take some kind of steroid and also go in for a Neulasta shot to boost my white blood cells. I found out from the benefits specialist that Neulasta costs $9500/dose. I go for 6 rounds of chemo. You can do the math. And that's just the post chemo "booster"! I can't wait to see the statement of benefits for the actual chemo drugs. I want to be quick to say that other than maybe a $20 co-pay, our insurance covers this 100%, but I'm sure this is not the case with everyone's plan, and it makes you wonder what people do. Other than the lack of wig reimbursement, which seems to be an anomaly, we have excellent coverage. I still plan on submitting a claim for my wig, letting them reject me, and then I'll appeal and likely lose, but I think it's important to make the point that the policy is lacking. Squeaky wheel, right?
The nurse confirms that I've taken my steroids and gives me the Neulasta. I tell him about my trip to the plastic surgeon for another injection and how I usually take valium and percocet to get through reconstruction days. No problem he says. Really? I had a huge infusion of toxic chemicals yesterday, 2 steroids, a booster, and valium and percocet are fine to throw in the mix as well? Great. Oh yeah, and if I start to feel any nausea coming on I have two different prescription drugs which I'm now carrying around with me in my purse - just in case. Now I know why old people have problems mixing up their meds!
I get my 60mls of saline injected and as usual I can't feel it while I'm there. My plastic surgeon tells me I only have 20 more mls to fill the expander to capacity - yay! Do I want to do 80ml today, or just come back for another small injection next week? Go ahead, call me a wimp, but I figured first week of chemo I'd try to be as nice to myself as possible. Some days I question my decision to do the mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time. I still think in the end I'll be happy I suffered through them both simultaneously, rather than having to go back for a whole round of reconstructive surgery post-chemo. But other days, (like today) I think it would be kind of nice to just let myself heal and concentrate on getting through the chemo. All I can say, is thank goodness I didn't get the additional 20ml, because I seriously thought I was going to blow up. I really don't want to be on any additional drugs, but I can't imagine getting through these days without at least the valium to ease the stiffness. I went straight to physical therapy after the injection so she could torture me some more, and that was really all I could manage. Honestly day two of chemo and I'm mostly suffering from my reconstruction injection than anything else, so hard to say if I've had any real chemo side effects yet!
Sounds like fun! Hang in there, Mich! We were lucky because we had Halden's meds covered by an Ontario home care plan (because Halden was assigned a nurse, the meds were paid). He took one for white blood cells too....I had to do the injections though...we still laugh about that, well, I do anyway. ;)
ReplyDeleteYou had to do the injections yourself?! That is so crazy.
ReplyDeleteGlad the nausea isn't getting you Michelle. That is a good sign. The chemo fatigue can be a bit much, but we have no doubt that you will get through this with your awesome attitude. By the way, I used to give Scott his many Neupogen (another white booster) injections after each cycle to drive the white count up. He had needle phobia and he couldn't give them through his broviac port ... had to be in a muscle. It was tons of fun .... a little bribery ? ... new X-Box game ? ... no problem !! I don't think we will stop over this weekend, because I am sure your chemo fatigue is kicking in. Rest .... rest and more rest. Hope to see you next weekend. You, John and sweet Colin and Garrett are always in our prayers. By the way, your wig is totally awesome !!
ReplyDeleteSending much strength, hope and faith,
Diane and Scott
Don' t worry mich, I practiced on an orange first!
ReplyDeleteI used to practice on oranges to get over my needle phobia of injecting horses too! Maybe you can convince John that would be another fun job for him to try?! Hoping this post will work now you have made site changes, here goes! Glad you guys have amazing coverage with drug prices like that, and wow it sounds like you do have a pharmacy in your purse; I say, load up on rest and prescriptions so you can enjoy family time! :)
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, my purse/diaper bag is ridiculous. I could survive in the woods for days.
ReplyDelete