Just to bring you up to speed, I turned one hundred this week. Wednesday, I was actually still feeling pretty decent. My expander was still bothering me, but I even went into work to attend a seminar, and although I probably over taxed myself a little bit, it wasn't terrible.
Yesterday and today (days 4 and 5), have been a whole other story. Remember Freaky Friday? Well, instead of inhabiting Barbara Harris or Jamie Lee Curtis's body, I got Betty White. Not even. Betty is way more spry than I have been feeling. Just total and complete utter exhaustion and weakness. My oncologist said some people describe it as fatigue similar to third trimester pregnancy. Ha! I don't know about you, but my pregnancies were relatively easy. Sure I was tired when I got home from work and often took little cat naps, but I went to the gym or walked right up until the week I gave birth and wasn't sick at all. Other than appointments, I didn't have to miss a day of work while pregnant, but the thought of actually going to work yesterday or today is making me laugh.
I had nothing on the calendar today, so I got up and had breakfast with the kids at 6:30, read a few emails, and then went back to bed for half the morning. I got myself showered, had lunch, forced myself to do my physio exercises, and then went for a little walk around the neighbourhood. Please don't envision me power-walking or busting it down the trail. Think of walking with your toddler and that is about my speed. It just makes me feel so much better to get outside and get some fresh air; I have never been one to stay in the house all day. It is very disconcerting to feel so unlike myself. I'm a total weakling. (And as soon as I'm done with this update, I will be returning to bed for nap # 2)!
Thankfully, I have not been feeling any nausea. Every time I eat something, I get these uncomfortable cramps for a few minutes after, but they seem to go away on their own, so I ignore them and try to keep on moving. I have basically been eating my regular diet, although I guess I am anticipating nausea so I am probably choosing more bland comfort type foods than I might normally? Could be worse. I am also trying to drink more water. I have never been good at staying hydrated so I hope this is one routine change that sticks.
I'm really hoping that this is my "dip" and I will start to feel better as the weekend approaches. I didn't want to compromise my family time feeling crappy, so my hope in starting treatments on Mondays, was to get it over with during the first five days and then be functional and fun for the weekend and upcoming two work weeks. That was the plan anyway...

I just saw a copy of Freaky Friday on a self yesterday! That was a hilarious movie-not a fun reality though. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm glad to hear the nausea is being kept at bay. There are worse people than Betty White to have take over your body; it could've been Bea Arthur. :/
ReplyDeleteHope you were able to have some fun this weekend. xx
Hello Michelle! First of all I just want to say thank you so much for blogging about your experience. I have just been diagnosed with IDC and will be having my bilateral mastectomy next week. I will start chemo next month and am more nervous about that than the surgery. I just want you to know that I look forward to each of your posts as they give me a glimpse as to what my near future holds. Best of luck to you and hopefully the nausea stays at bay!
ReplyDeleteAimee - nice to virtually meet you! I agree with you, the chemo is scarier because you have no idea what to expect and what the short or long term side effects will be. Good luck with your surgery - you will do fine. Honestly it felt good to get in there and get the ball rolling, cut it out, figure out the staging, and move on with a game plan! And even though, I only had a single, I think you will find recovery very manageable. If no one has mentioned it, my one tip is to go to Nordstroms if you have one in your area and get a post mastectomy bra beforehand - they are much more comfortable than the one the hospital gives you and you have an extra to wash and wear. Otherwise get lots of rest, help and tlc from others - good luck next week!
DeleteKeep on trucking, girl, regardless of the pace!
ReplyDelete