All and all, I'd have to say this has been a pretty good week. After a bit of a rough start on Monday, I finished out the week feeling SO much better and even had the energy to go to the gym at work twice to ride the bike and do the elliptical. It felt amazingly good to be back in the gym again, even if I'm not allowed to do anything high impact just yet. My physiotherapist tells me my arm has been making gains in its range of motion, my hair is still attached to my head, and I have one more week of respite until round two of chemo. Life is good.
But what I'm most pleased about is that I was offered the opportunity at work to be the Honourary Team Captain for our Komen Global Race for the Cure Team. I've mentioned in earlier posts that I would love to be involved somehow with this year's race, and now I am. It's not like it's my team or anything, but I'm thrilled to be able to help with the fundraising campaign and be part of the committee that helps motivate people to join and, of course, donate. They asked if I would mind creating the official team page, including posting my picture, which will be sent to all staff and to our entire distribution list of ex-pats in the region. I figured having the big boss on the home page wouldn't hurt either, so I arranged a photo op to motivate the troops, to which he readily agreed. Being the vain person I am, I asked if we could do the photo asap before my hair falls out. Problem was, it was a crazy windy yesterday and we were out on the rooftop balcony. The wind is blowing my hair back with such force that I look nearly bald anyway! (Somehow the boss seems perfectly coiffed). It was a good thing I wasn't already in a wig or the cars would have been driving over it on Pennsylvania Avenue.
On June 2nd, the day of the race, I will be in the midst of my fifth round of chemo, but I will make myself finish that race even if I have to change places with one of the kids in the stroller. John and I signed up to walk, and plan on doing it with the kids, and I just want to take it all in at a leisurely pace and enjoy it. When you're running a 5K it's over in a heartbeat - there's such a throng of people to work through at the start and then you barely get a chance to look around before you're crossing the finish line.
So here's my pitch: If you're local, I'd love for you to join Team Canada and come walk/run the 5K with me, John and the kiddoes! (Use the discount code EARLYBIRD to get $5 off registration before April 13th). If you can't make it on June 2nd, or you're reading this from afar and aren't already a part of the race, I would really appreciate your support by going to the homepage and donating to the cause. You can click on my name and check out my personal page. Every little bit helps! XOXO.
McGs are in, but only if we get some cool maple leaf gear.
ReplyDeleteOh that's a given. Tees are being designed as we speak!
Deleteproof positive that your sense of humor is still kicking butt - the second half of your second para made me laugh :)
ReplyDeleteon june 2, you will have a whole bunch of people to assist you should you need it but i doubt you will :)
i'm in and you know i will spread the word!!
see you next week!!
xoxo C
Excellent - you are the best networked gal I know! Get yourself signed up before the earlybird runs out!
DeleteHappy to support you in any way that I can from the Peg, Cap'n. I wish I could be there to join you on the walk. Wear that maple leaf proudly!
ReplyDeleteWill do and thanks so much for your donation! You guys are awesome. XO,
DeleteM.
Way to go Mich! Sounds like your week ended on a high note. Hooray!!
ReplyDeleteWow Michelle, good for you! Work, working out, walk/runs, photo shoots! You are so inspirational! Go Team Canada!
ReplyDeleteCool news Team Capt! Sounds exciting!!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you're working out- you're crazy. I can't find the energy to work out (especially at work!) most days. CRAZYKINS! Maybe you could take this opportunity to lie on the couch and eat bon-bons.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you're feeling better.
Maybe Brent and I will commit to running 5km here on June 2nd in your honour (or find out when the Wpg. version is and do that). Donation coming your way soon (just have to figure out how to do it).
Happy to hear your hair is still hanging on but don't fret too much- your wig is great. In the category of things only a sister would say, I will say that it is actually as nice as your real hair (maybe even more stylish!) and no Nash will ever have hair that luxuriously thick so enjoy that weird perk.
Bon-bons!
J.
Next week, I will def be lying on the couch, don't you worry! It is NOT as nice as my real hair, and because I've actually had to wear it for 2 days straight now, I can also confirm that it is nowhere near as cool and comfortable either! Appreciate any and all donations! Should just have to click on my name...
ReplyDeleteHi Sweetie you dont know me but my husband has the same cancer as Scott Hammond , and I saw a ref to you in one of Di's post on CB and just wanted to pop by and say hello and to say I hope you are doing ok . Your strength and courage are amazing and I hope for only good things for you
ReplyDeleteMy hubby Joe is in remission and I am sure you will get to this point too as you have the right attitude to beat it !!!!
Sending lots of positive vibes and sunshine from Australia
Take care and big hugs to you and yours
Leilani and Joe
Hi Leilani! I think this is my first message from Australia! Thanks for introducing yourself. I saw Diane this afternoon as a matter of fact - she was dropping off a delicious dinner for our family! So glad to hear that Joe is in remission and you're right, I hope to say the same soon! Best,
ReplyDeleteMichelle