Allow me to segue into my own crazy experiences this week. It all started on Tuesday with what I thought were swollen eyes due to all the pollen from the ridiculously warm weather we've been having here. When my feet wouldn't fit into my shoes, my watch had to move to a bigger hole, and I could barely get my rings on, I figured something was up. "Is this normal?", I ask my oncologist. "Well, it's not abnormal (I'm coming to detest that phrase), it's just that we tend to see it in patients closer to round five or six." Fabulous, so I'm going to look like a blowfish by the time I get to that point? She prescribes some kind of diuretic, but cautions me against using it too much (or at all?) because she's more concerned about me getting dehydrated than puffy. Sigh. Why is there never an easy answer? So, I've basically accepted my new state of bloatedness, and if I feel like I might start to drift away I have the meds on hand to release the flow. I also really need to buy some cheap flats in a bigger size for work, because my slip on garden clogs don't look very cute with a dress.
Which brings me to the hair. "Has it started to fall out yet?", she asks. "Yes," I admit, running a hand through my hair to reveal a fistful of blond locks. "Do you have a plan?" Hmmm. "If by plan you mean ignoring my hair trail and trying to finish out the work week until I can face reality on the weekend, then yes." "Honey, you're lucky if you have 24 hours. I'd leave here and go to your hairdresser and get it done today." Seriously?! So now I'm in the parking lot sending a message to my boss: Chris, do you mind if I work from home the rest of the afternoon? I need to shave my head. Thanks, M. Then I call my hairdresser who is of course booked for the day since I am calling same afternoon. "Hi, Brenda. This is Michelle, the Canadian - I was just in a couple months ago getting my haircut before returning to work? I know this is a strange request, but would you have time to shave my head this afternoon? Great, see you at 4. Bye."
At this point, I'm so tired of trying to keep it all together that I almost feel relieved that it's coming off. My hairdresser is, of course, lovely and turns me away from the mirror so I can gaze out the window while she is buzzing away. I repeatedly assure her that I'm fine, and she comments on what a nicely shaped head I have. When she flips me around, it's really not that big a deal. John basically gets this same haircut every 6 weeks. (He usually gets #1 on the sides, and #2 on the top, whereas I have #1 all over). So I'm Sinead, so I'm G.I. Jane. Whatever. It's only hair.
| The "Weekender" |
oh sweet C! he just loves his mama, and hair is so not important to that guy! i don't think scarves are unprofessional... think of how awesome J. Lo looks in them!
ReplyDeleteGreat to see you all today, and you looked great in the scarf !! When I think about what people look like on the train going to DC and back every day ... hardly professional ... I'll just leave it at that : ) We will be praying for a non-eventful chemo session this week. I enjoyed watching your beautiful boys play. Stay strong and if the wig bugs you .... say bye bye Lise !! You certainly rock the scarf.
ReplyDeleteWith faith and hope,
Diane and Scott
It is only hair and with or without, you will continue to rock - even with green tea! Now, go track down that boat. (Just have to love what kids say.)
ReplyDeleteHoping all goes well this week Michelle, and say hello to Di and Scott when you see them next and give them a big hug from me, I hope to meet them oneday .
ReplyDeleteI think scarves are fab too Michelle, and would be so much cooler, so you wear whatever you want !!!
thinking of you and still sending lots of good vibes from Aus>>>>>>>>>>>>> see?
take care
Leilani and Joe
Rock the scarves, Michelle the Canadian! Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable and at ease. I'm sure you look beautiful regardless of what's on your head. Also, so glad to hear C was unphased by it all and was more concerned about his lost boat. Gotta love kids. :)
ReplyDeleteKids really are amazing! And, so are you! Head up...It is not your hair that we all love about you!
ReplyDeleteLove Colin's bit with the boat! So typical of kids...!! :)
ReplyDeleteI am sure it was a hard day(s). Thinking of you. You do rock the scarf! And we could learn a lot from kids couldn't we?
ReplyDeleteHugs.